Mecca Bingo has withdrawn plans to turn its Dagenham club into a 24-hour-a-day bingo venue, just days after Barking and Dagenham Council launched a consultation on tougher gambling policies.
The Rank-owned operator had applied to extend the opening hours of its long-established Dagenham club at London East Leisure Park, allowing it to operate around the clock, seven days a week.
The application was withdrawn on July 31, three days after the Essex council announced its public consultation on changes to its gambling policy.
There is no confirmation from Mecca that the two developments are connected, but the timing has inevitably raised eyebrows.
Mecca’s 24-Hour Bingo Ambition
Mecca’s application sought to remove the existing restrictions on the club’s opening hours.
The popular bingo venue in Dagenham currently has permission to operate between 8am and 2am, and Mecca argues there is a growing market for late-night leisure.
In its planning statement, the operator said:
“The premises has operated at this location continuously since 1996 and a 24-hour-a-day operating model is considered appropriate for the venue due to the evolving nature of the leisure and entertainment sector, particularly in urban locations where the applicant has seen a growing demand for flexible, late-night leisure facilities.”
Mecca also pointed to the fact that other businesses at London East Leisure Park already operate around the clock.
The application specifically referenced McDonald’s and The Gym Group, both of which offer 24-hour facilities.
Mecca said there had been no complaints about its existing opening hours and presented the extended hours as a way of responding to changing customer behaviour.
Council Consultation Raises Questions
The withdrawal comes as Barking and Dagenham Council reviews its approach to gambling.
The council launched a consultation on its proposed Gambling Policy for 2026–2029 on July 28.
The consultation covers gambling premises across the borough, including bingo clubs, betting shops and adult gaming centres, and is due to close on Monday, August 24.
Senior Labour councillor Syed Ghani, who is responsible for licensing, said:
“We want to ensure our Gambling Policy reflects the needs, experiences and priorities of local people.”
He added:
“As a council, we have a responsibility to support safe and well-regulated gambling whilst doing everything we can to protect residents, particularly children and vulnerable people, from gambling-related harm.”
The council’s consultation therefore comes at a particularly interesting time for Mecca’s Dagenham venue.
While there is no evidence that the proposed policy directly caused the withdrawal, the application disappearing just three days after the consultation was announced will inevitably lead to questions about whether the changing regulatory environment played a role.
What Happens to Mecca Dagenham Now?
For customers, there is no immediate change to the club’s operation.
Mecca Dagenham remains a functioning bingo venue, with the operator continuing to advertise bingo sessions, electronic games, slots, food and drink at the club.
The 24-hour proposal, however, is now off the table.
That means the idea of customers being able to walk into the Dagenham Mecca for a game of bingo at 3am, 4am or 5am will not become reality – at least for now.
And that could make the development an interesting one for the wider bingo industry.
Could 24-Hour Bingo Have Been the Future?
Mecca’s application was notable because it reflected a broader question facing the traditional bingo sector: how can clubs adapt their opening hours to changing leisure habits? This is particularly relevant to Mecca Bingo, which closed eight of its bingo venues just weeks ago.
Bingo has historically been built around scheduled sessions, with customers arriving for specific games rather than treating a club as an entertainment venue they can visit at any time.
But operators are increasingly experimenting with different formats, younger audiences, food and drink, entertainment and more flexible approaches to the traditional bingo experience.
Mecca’s argument in Dagenham was essentially that if customers can access other leisure facilities throughout the night, bingo could compete for some of that late-night trade.
Whether that demand is large enough to justify 24-hour bingo remains unanswered.
For now, Mecca appears to have decided not to go ahead with the Dagenham experiment.
A Significant Test for the Bingo Sector?
The timing also puts the spotlight on the relationship between UK bingo operators and local authorities.
Bingo clubs occupy a somewhat unusual position within the gambling industry. They are gambling premises, but they are also social and entertainment venues that provide employment and, in many communities, an established place for people to meet.
At the same time, councils have a statutory responsibility to consider gambling-related harm and the protection of vulnerable people when developing their local policies.
Dagenham therefore provides an interesting snapshot of the balancing act facing councils and operators. BingoDaily recently visited the Buzz Bingo in Borehamwood, a boutique bingo location situated prominently on the High Street. There, they discussed the complexities of dealing with the local council and ultimately resolved them.
Mecca has not publicly suggested that its withdrawal was prompted by the council’s policy review.
But with the consultation still open, the story is unlikely to end with the withdrawal of one planning application.
For now, Mecca Dagenham remains open – but the prospect of all-night bingo in the east London and Essex area remains on hold.
The post Mecca Bingo Pulls Plug on 24-Hour Dagenham Plan appeared first on BingoDaily.
