MPs Urge Halt to Gambling Affordability Checks

By | May 21, 2026

A group of 19 cross-party MPs representing British racecourses has called on Culture Secretary Lisa Nandy to halt the Gambling Commission’s planned rollout of financial risk assessments (FRAs), warning the measures could significantly harm horseracing and the wider regulated betting industry.

In an open letter, the MPs said the policy—due for implementation later this month—raises concerns about economic impact and transparency. The signatories represent 59 racecourses attracting over five million visitors annually and argue the checks threaten a sector worth billions to the UK economy.

The MPs highlighted horseracing’s £4 billion economic contribution, £300 million in tax revenue, and around 85,000 jobs. They warned that affordability checks could disrupt the betting-racing relationship as the sport faces financial pressure.

Concerns Over “Frictionless” Implementation

A key concern is that financial risk assessments would not be seamless for bettors. MPs cited the Gambling Commission’s pilot using credit reference agencies, arguing it shows a fully “frictionless” system is not achievable.

“This unprecedented state intrusion into people’s private lives has dismayed the millions of people who love horseracing. Over 100,000 signed a petition against the checks in 2024, triggering a Westminster Hall debate at which then-minister Stuart Andrew MP said that the checks would only be introduced if they were ‘truly frictionless’,” the letter said.

It added: “The subsequent Gambling Commission pilot of affordability checks involving Credit Ratings Agencies has proved that a 100% success rate is not possible. Despite our repeated warnings, the Commission seems intent on pursuing this highly controversial policy regardless of the consequences for Britain’s second most-popular sport.”

MPs also argued the checks risk requiring intrusive financial documents, despite earlier assurances they would remain light-touch.

Dispute Over Oversight and Impact

The Gambling Commission has maintained that the system is designed to affect only a small proportion of customers. Director Tim Miller previously stated that fewer than 3% of active users would face intervention and that around 97% would experience assessments without disruption.

However, MPs cited polling commissioned by the Betting and Gaming Council suggesting that 65% of bettors would refuse to provide financial documents such as payslips or bank statements if required to continue gambling.

They also warned of rising illegal gambling, citing Treasury data showing a 522% increase between 2021 and 2023.

Industry estimates referenced in the letter suggest the policy could cost £300 million in annual tax revenue and reduce horseracing turnover by £250 million over five years.

Call for Government Intervention

The MPs questioned whether proper scrutiny had taken place, arguing that assurances about ministerial oversight appear to have been weakened as final decisions move toward the Gambling Commission board.

They urged Lisa Nandy to pause implementation and allow a full evaluation of the pilot results and wider impacts on racing, consumers, and public finances.

The intervention comes ahead of a Gambling Commission board meeting expected to consider next steps. The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has not yet responded.

Industry groups warn the policy could have lasting effects on racing, jobs, and the regulated betting market if implemented without further review.

Source:

“MPs urge culture secretary to halt Gambling Commission’s affordability checks”, igamingbusiness.com, May 19, 2026

The post MPs Urge Halt to Gambling Affordability Checks first appeared on RealMoneyAction.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *